Greetings of Peace. This blog contains selections from my correspondence and other sources on a variety of subjects related to religion, philosophy, and spirituality. I hope that they may be of benefit to the interested reader. Concerning the title of the blog, read this entry.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramadan Reflections

"The Month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion of right and wrong. And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, let him fast the same number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you, and He desireth that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you and that peradventure ye may be thankful." - The Holy Quran, 2:185
This month marks the third passage of Ramadan since I entered into Islam and once again I feel the shroud of holy poverty descend upon my heart, protecting it from base thoughts, just as I protect my body from the food and water forbidden it during this time and guard my tongue from unnecessary and ignoble speech. I say that it is me who does these things but in reality it is through God that they are made possible for the month of Ramadan, although outwardly a trial, carries inwardly the mercy of "Allah desireth for you ease." That which formerly was difficult, has been made easy by Divine Aid. I am grateful to God for first commanding and then allowing me to fast during this month and I pray for peace and blessings upon the Prophet Muhammad, my family, friends, companions, and myself.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful reflections. This is my state as well, this should be realized by all of us: "I say that it is me who does these things but in reality it is through God that they are made possible for the month of Ramadan, although outwardly a trial, carries inwardly the mercy of "Allah desireth for you ease."

    ReplyDelete