Greetings of Peace. This blog contains selections from my correspondence and other sources on a variety of subjects related to religion, philosophy, and spirituality. I hope that they may be of benefit to the interested reader. Concerning the title of the blog, read this entry.

Monday, March 09, 2009

In the Sweat of Thy Face Shalt Thou Eat Bread

(Continued from My Ideal Partner)

Now it is time to turn to my primary practical consideration, that of work. As I have established from my hierarchy of needs and in the consideration of my existential situation, it is possible in principle to fulfill nearly all of my basic spiritual and psychological needs in the absence of the fulfillment of my physical needs. As I stated before, however, it is not possible to do so in practice as the neglect of my physical needs serves as a serious deterrent to the others. It is absolutely necessary, therefore, for me to meet these needs adequately and fully and my primary means of doing so is through work.

Work consists of those activities which we engage in of necessity, to fulfill our basic physical needs of securing adequate food, medicine, clothing, and shelter. Virgin nature is uniquely suited to providing us with the means of fulfilling all of our needs, including those which are spiritual and psychological. It is only primordial man, however, who is capable of making such a full use of nature. Concerning my physical needs specifically, I am capable in principle of growing my own food, caring for my medical needs with herbs and traditional medicine, making my own clothes, and constructing my own home. Situated between myself and this ideal of nature, however, is the social structure in which I live and in which the knowledge necessary to accomplish these tasks is compartmentalized and relegated to specialization. I am, therefore, bound to the framework of possibilities and limitations that the present social structure provides me with to meet my various needs.

In keeping with my ideal of simplicity, I must endeavor to provide for my own needs to the degree possible within this framework. I must grow my own food, take medicine through herbs, make my own clothes, and build and maintain my own home. To the degree in which I am unable to do this, I must engage in a specific activity that will enable me to trade my goods and services in exchange for those provided by others in compensation for my deficiency. Within our society, the medium for exchange of goods and services is currency, and the value in currency of any good or service is proportionate to its desirability by others within our society.

I must first determine where and under what conditions I would like to engage in my specific activity. Then I must determine which activities are available to me in the location that will meet my desired conditions. Then I must ascertain the steps necessary to arrive at that goal. Finally, I must choose a reasonable time frame in which to accomplish it. In all of the above considerations I must be as specific as possible.

(Continued in Where, What, How, and When?)

No comments:

Post a Comment